Monday, June 14, 2010

The Drop Off


Yesterday Mom and I dropped Garrett and Madyson off at camp. As always, it was such an amazing experience. We were in line on the road by 11:00 (gates opened at noon, and the line extended far in front of us and soon far behind us). Like last year, the camp experience started in that line. Campers piled out of their cars to meet up with friends they hadn't seen in a year. Children and parents alike walked up and down the road visiting and reminenscing. Counselors walked the roads with HSJ paper fans, and passed out cups of ice cold water to help us beat the Mississippi heat. Garrett and Maddy were beside themselves with excitement.

Mom and Garrett were the first to get out of the car once we entered the camp gates. They were successful in claiming a top bunk. (Whew!) While Mom unpacked, Garrett was busy talking with old friends and making new friends.


Maddy and I continued around the lake to her cabin where I helped her claim her top bunk. Maddy helped me make her bed and unpack her things. Soon she had made several new friends and had told her counselors her life story. (That's my girl, lol.)

Both kiddos were soon anxious for Mom and I to leave. After only an hour of getting them settled, Maddy had given me a few last kisses and said her good byes. She kicked me out so she could change into her swimsuit and get ready for lunch with her cabin. Garrett was running to the dining hall to eat lunch with his cabin with barely a good bye for me. It was very hard for me to leave with both of my babies there, but there were glowing with excitement and floating on cloud nine. It was a very good feeling to know that they were about to experience one of the summers of their lives. Now I'm following JC (the camp director) on Twitter and Facebook and checking the blog often for new pictures, looking for my smiling faces. (Can I get a *woop woop* for the wonders of technology?) Part of me is jealous because I know from experience what an amazing time they are having. I am so grateful that my children are able to go to camp. I know that in regards to their Jewish education and in helping them to grow into independent, strong, well-rounded children, the HSJ experience is one of the best things I can give them.

3 comments:

  1. I love the tradition of you and your kids going the same place. :) And I love hearing about Maddy and Garrett any chance I can get. Share the pics you get with us if they post any on Twitter? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so honored and thrilled to be apart of that first day experience. It brought back such warm memories of settling the four of you in for the session. (and also the memories of ya'll crying all the way home because you didn't want to leave camp!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're a brave Mom by letting your kids go to camp. I think I would be a blubbering parent, constantly calling to check on my kiddos! Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete